Visit Rafa's New Official Web site!

And don't forget to keep checking www.vamosrafel.com!

Join vamosrafael.com's Web site Messageboards to meet other Rafa fans and share lots of info, pictures, or simply discuss about your favorite tennis player


Or you coul also visit vamosrafael.com's Photo Galleries: the most extensive recollection of Rafael Nadal's pictures. From his earliest years to today's photos!

 

Powered by Blogger



Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Guess I'll start with the latest news.

First, I missed the shopping expedition this morning, as I overslept. Too much partying with the ESPN boys, I guess.

I figured I hadn't eaten much for a couple days, so it was time to make another trip to McDonald's. I headed over there, and as usual, I noticed people stopping and looking at me as though I'm strange -- and I guess I am strange compared to them. I'm certainly taller than most of them. Inesa told me that the "stares" are quite common, especially from people who don't live in Shanghai, but are visiting from other areas.

When I got to the McDonald's counter, they gave me a photo menu, so I could point to the things I want. It's pretty efficient, actually, and although the Chinese don't necessarily understand Small and Large, they seem to understand S, M and L.

I then wandered around a few shops. I saw some cute clothes, but as Inesa told me, it's hard to find clothing that isn't really small. I think I'm going to have to find non-clothing souvenirs.

I returned to my room, which had a cleaning crew, and rather than watch them work, I thought I'd head to the tennis. And, as usual, I met up with Felix, Dave and the other ESPN boys. They really are very entertaining. One guy offered us a Mandarin Orange, and Felix said, "When you are in China, they aren't Mandarin oranges, they are just "oranges." This prompted a discussion about oranges and Asian pears (which in China, are just "pears" not Asian ones) that lasted for miles. I never knew the subject of fruit could be so funny.

I was glad I came early because I wanted to catch the concert by the Bryan Brothers band. I wrote a story about it, to send to Bob Larson, and I'll post it below. It really was a cute moment for the fans.

I'm now following the Davydenko/Gaudio match on the screen above me. I may go in the stadium and watch it. Neva is upstairs watching it, and she and I are planning to go to that shopping area sometime this week. I'm bound and determined to go there because I hear it's an experience not to be missed -- especially to hear Felix and Dave describe it. Sounds as though you are lucky to come out of the place alive.

I'm going to use their advise and get one of those "Get Out of Jail" cards, which has, written in Chinese, that you are staying at the Mayfair hotel, and lists a bunch of destinations. You check the one you want to go to, so the taxi driver knows where to take you. And then you show the card again, to show the driver you need to return to the hotel. Felix assures me this actually works, although some drivers seem to be better readers than others. With my luck, I'll get an illiterate one driving one of those dark red cabs. *lol*

I'm watching the Gaudio/Davydenko match right now. Gaudio has not been playing well, but he appears to be on the comeback trail. He lost the first set 3-6, and was down 5-1 at one point. It's now 5-3, and he's at deuce on his own serve. If he can hold, he'll make Davydenko have to try to serve it out again.

BTW, someone in here just sneezed very loudly. And I heard someone say, very quietly, "Bird flu?" The whole room started laughing.

We take humor where we can get it here, given the player line-up. Gaudio has just blown two game points; it's back to deuce. Now he has an ad again. Deuce. Now Davydenko has matchpoint. Gaudio saved it -- hit a drop shot, Davydenko got there, but then Gaudio hit the overhead smash. Deuce. Gaudio bricked a volley. Another matchpoint. After a dropshot, lob and a volley, Gaudio was able to save the second MP, and now he has the ad. He did it. Davydenko to serve for the match at 5-4. It certainly would be something if Gaudio could pull out this set.

Man, he had 3 breakpoints, but Davydenko has saved two. He has another one. He hit wide. Deuce. Another matchpoint. Gaudio saved it, when Davydenko hit long. At least there's a little drama here. Deuce. Another matchpoint. Great winner by Davydenko, who wins the match!

I'm sure Felix and the boys will be on the 9:30 bus, so I'll probably take that. I'll check in with you all later.



The Bryan Brothers Rock Shanghai

Following the loss of five top singles players, the Tennis Masters Cup organizers in Shanghai are looking for ways to appease disappointed fans. They arranged an autograph signing by World No. 2 Rafael Nadal, and invited the newly crowned World No. 1 doubles team, Bob and Mike Bryan, to perform two songs in the retail area.

With a keyboard and guitar loaned by Gibson, a tournament sponsor, The Bryan Brothers Band took the stage at 5:45 p.m. Dressed in matching Adidas warm-up suits, Bob tuned the keyboard and Mike the guitar. They started with U2's "With or Without You," followed by a song from Oasis.

Hundreds of delighted fans, armed with camera cell phones and digital cameras, cheered on the Bryans and the tournament vocalist. After the second song, Mike signaled they would play one more. They launched immediately into a rousing redition of "Mustang Sally," with Bob and Mike alternately providing the "Ride, Sally, Ride" vocals.

As the crowd continued to grow, and American flags started to appear, they decided to extend their impromptu concert with Van Morrison's "Brown Eyed Girl." The fans sang along with the band, leaving no doubt that the Bryans will have many more supporters the next time they take the court.

posted by Susan @ 3:17 AM 

**Please do not reproduce without giving credit to the original source and VamosRafael.com.**
Return to VamosRafael.com.

Return to VamosRafael.com Fan Reports.